Air is indeed the "New Oil". Remember my previous Crispy Baked Chicken post? The Air Fried Even Crispier Chicken Drumsticks elevates this to a totally new level. Imagine this, this guilt-free (almost) Crispy "Fried" Chicken is so crispy (Yes, I mentioned Crispy twice in the same sentence) that you will be wanting to eat this EVERYDAY. It is really thaaat good.
If you love the KFC Hot & Spicy Chicken, the Crispy Baked Chicken is better and this Air Fried Even Crispier Chicken Drumsticks is better-er. LOL!
It is better because:
1. It is tasty
2. It was done in 20 minutes and…
3. I used barely one teaspoon of oil for 4 pieces of drumsticks or chicken leg.
Wow! Just wow… The newly improved model of the Philips Avance Collection Airfryer XL is amazing with:
• Rapid Air Technology that enables you to fry, bake, roast and grill, the tastiest snacks and meals with up to 80%* less fat than a conventional fryer, by using little or no oil!
• Increased power for faster cooking results for enhanced performance for even faster results! You can now enjoy more power** for great tasting fried food and more with less fat!*
I was impressed by how intense the flavor of the spices was after being air fried and the skin was crackling when you bite into it. Although the skin is relatively greaseless, the meat inside is so juicy and tender. OMG, I want to make some for you just to proof my point.
The recipe is here. (I omitted the melted butter). Only the instruction for the cooking time is different.
1. Preheat the Air Fryer to 200°C.
2. Then, put in the drumsticks onto the mesh wire tray and air fry for 10 minutes at 200°C.
3. Pause at 10 minutes, brush some oil onto the drumsticks. (Flip the drumsticks to apply oil on the other side) Updated on 7/10: If you are making chicken thighs, go easy on the oil as thighs has a higher fat content than drumsticks. So, after the first 10 minutes, just brush the oil over the white spots of flour sparingly and you do not need to flip the thighs. I brushed oil on both sides and ended up with the bottom part "wet" from the oil that is dripping out. It is still very OMG juicy, but if you prefer a dry and crispy batter throughout, skip the oil on the bottom part and no flipping required.
4. Lower the temperature to 150°C for another 10 minutes to ensure the drumsticks cook through. (You will see the liquid runs clear or use a fork to poke through the mean to test the doneness).